Vietnam – Sri Lanka Relations
In the political field:
The bilateral economic relations have grown steadily in recent years:
- In the trade field: The total trade value between the two countries of 30,1 million USD (
- The main exported items Viet Nam to Sri Lanka chiefly consists of precious stones, precious metals, cloth of all kinds, agricultural machines, rubber, seafood, handicraft and furniture…
- In the investment field: until September 2009, Sri Lanka has 5 valid investment projects in Viet Nam with the total registered capital of 13,2 million USD, ranked at 59/88 countries and territories investing in Viet Nam..
- Bilateral cooperation in the agriculture field is also developing in recent years. In 2007, the two countries has approved The Work Plan for the year 2010 - 2013 in implement of MOU on cooperation on agriculture and fisheries.
- The Join Commission between
- Until 2009, Viet Nam and Sri Lanka have sign 9 Agreements on: cultural cooperation; trade; post; aviation transportation; cooperation in the field of economy, science and technology; visa exemption for holders of diplomatic and official passport; tourism; avoidance of double taxation; protection and promotion of investment.
Exchanges of visits between the two countries in current time include:
+ Visits to Vietnam are those paid by Sri Lanka Foreign Minister Laksham Kadirgarmar (May 1999); Sri Lanka Defence Secretary A. Chandrananda (June 2000); Sri Lanka Trade Minister (June 2002); Sri Lanka Foreign Minister Tyronne Fernando (October 2003); Sri Lanka Agriculture Minister (December 2004); Sri Lanka Parliament Chairman W.J.M. Lokubandra (Februrry 2006); Sri Lanka Prime Minister Wickramanayka (26-29 November 2006); Sri Lanka Miniter of Agricultural Development (28 March - 5 April 2007), Secretary of Ministry of Defence, Public Security, Law and Order Gotabaya Rajapaksa (April 2008); Minister of Enterprise Development and Investment Promotion visit Hochiminh City (September 2008); Sri Lanka Foreign Minister Rohitha Bogollagama (5-6 March 2009); Sri Lanka President Mahinda Rajapaksa (22-24 October 2009).
+ Visits to Sri Lanka are those paid by: Prime Minister Pham Van Dong (1978); Deputy Foreign Minister Le Cong Phung (21- 24 March 2002); Foreign Minister Nguyen Dy Nien (19-22 July 2003); Deputy Trade Minister Do Nhu Dinh (23 October to 1 November 2003); Fishery Minister Ta Quang Ngoc (17-20 March 2005); Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development Diep Kinh Tan (June 2006);Prime Minster Nguyen Tan Dung had telephone conversation with Sri Lanka President (May 2009); Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Phạm Gia Khiem met Sri Lanka Foreign Minister on the sidelines of the 15th NAM Summit in Egypt (14 July 2009); Defence Minister Phung Quang Thanh met Sri Lanka Foreign Minister on the sidelines of the 8th Asian Security Conference in Singapore (May 2009); Deputy Foreign Minister Dao Viet Trung attended the 2nd Join Commission between Viet Nam and Sri Lanka held in Colombo (10-11 August 2009); Deputy Minister of Trade and Industry Do Huu Hao (4-8 October 2009); Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung met Sri Lanka Prime Minister Wickramanayka on the sidelines of the 10th International Exhibition of Economics and Trade held in Chengdu- Si Chuan, China (14-16 October 2009); Deputy Foreign Minister Doan Xuan Hung attended the 8th Asia Dialogue Ministerial Meeting held in Colombo (14-15 October 2009)./.
|Back Top page Print Email|