VIETNAM - MOZAMBIQUE RELATIONS
1/ Background information:
Date of establishment of diplomatic relations: 25 June 1975, the day Mozambique declared its Independence.
Vietnam and Mozambique have enjoyed good relations of traditional friendship and extended support to each other in the cause for national liberation as well as national construction and economic development. The bilateral trade relations between Vietnam and Mozambique have witnessed a boom in recent years with the two-way trade turnover rising from 7.7 million USD in 2003 up to 210 million USD in 2006.
2/ Exchanges of delegation:
- 1978: Vice President Nguyen Huu Tho visited Mozambique.
- 1979: Minister Nguyen Thi Binh visited Mozambique during her attendance of the Non-Aligned Movement Summit.
- September 1979: Lieutenant General Tran Van Quang visited Mozambique.
- 1980: Vice Chairman of the Council of Ministers, Vo Nguyen Giap visited Mozambique.
- 1984: Mozambique President Samora Machel visited Vietnam.
- 17-19th March 1995: Foreign Minister Nguyen Manh Cam visited Mozambique.
- 5th July 1996: FRELIMO Secretary General Mamuel Tome visited Vietnam in his capacity as the Honorary Chairman of the International Association of Journalists.
- 14th Nov 2001: Vietnam Ambassador to South Africa with concurrent accreditation to Mozambique Nguyen Huu Dung presented his Letter of Credential to the President of Mozambique.
- 18th -21st March 2002: Deputy Minister for Trade Le Danh Vinh visited Mozambique and signed an MOU on Agricultural Cooperation.
- 27-29th July 2003: Deputy Minister for National Defense Nguyen Huy Hieu visited Mozambique.
- 13th-15th November 2003: Vice President Truong My Hoa visited Mozambique. During her visit, the two sides concluded a Framework Agreement on Economic, Commercial, Cultural and Scientific Cooperation, a Trade Agreement, and an MOU on Cooperation between the two Ministries of Foreign Affairs.
- April 2004: Deputy Defense Minister of Mozambique Henrique Banze visited Vietnam and signed an MOU on cooperation between the two Defense Ministries.
- 12th -16th December 2005: Minister of Science and Technology Venacio S. Massinga visited Vietnam and signed an MOU on Cooperation and Technology Transfer.
- 12-15th August 2006: Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of Mozambique Alcinda Antonia visited Vietnam. During her visit, the Mozambique side informed that Mozambique would open its Embassy in Hanoi soon.
- 14-16th December 2006: Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Vu Dzung paid a working visit to Mozambique.
- 16-20th January 2007: Mozambique President paid an official visit to Vietnam. During his visit, the two sides concluded an Agreement on Investment Promotion and Protection, an Agreement on Agricultural Cooperation, an Agreement on Educational Cooperation, and an Agreement on Healthcare Cooperation.
|Back Top page Print Email|