VIETNAM – BRUNEI DARUSSALAM RELATIONS
1. Political relations: Since the establishment of diplomatic relations on 29 February 1992, the friendly relations and multi-faceted cooperation between
Vietnamese leaders’ visits to Brunei include those paid by President Tran Duc Luong (November 2001), Chairman of the Ministerial Council Vo Van Kiet (28 February-01 March 1992), Prime Minister Phan Van Khai attended the 7th ASEAN Summit Meeting in Brunei (05-06 November 2001), Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung (16-17 August 2007), Foreign Minister Nguyen Manh Cam attended the Admission Ceremony for Viet Nam to become full member of ASEAN in Brunei (July 1995), Foreign Minister Nguyen Dy Nien (June 2000), Minister, Chairman of the Presidential Office Nguyen Canh Dinh attended the 52nd Birthday Ceremony of His Majesty Hassanal Bolkiah (July 1998), Defense Minister Pham Van Tra (April 2004), Minister of the Ministry of Labour, War Invalid and Social Affairs Tran Dinh Hoan (September 1997), Minister of Health Do Nguyen Phuong (September 2001), Minister of Education and Training Nguyen Minh Hien (September 2005), Chief of Vietnamese Army, Lieutenant-general Phung Quang Thanh (October 2002), Deputy Minister of Defense, Senior lieutenant- general Nguyen Huy Hieu (March 2007), Minister of Public Security Le Hong Anh attended the 6th ASEAN Ministerial Meeting on anti trans-national crime in Brunei (AMMTC) (November 2007), Deputy Chief of General Staff Pham Xuan Hung (August 2009).
Brunei leaders’ visits to Vietnam include those paid by His Majesty Hassanal Bolkiah (official visit in May 1998; attended the 6th ASEAN Summit Meeting in December 1998; attended the 5th ASEM Summit in October 2004; and attended the 14th APEC Summit in November 2006); the Crown Prince Haji Al Mutadee Billah, Senior Minister, Prime Minister’s Office (March 2006), Minister of Foreign Affairs Mohamed Bolkiah (April 1999) on the occasion of the Admission Ceremony for Cambodia to become a full member of ASEAN, Minister of Health (October 1996), Commander-in-chief of the Brunei’s Royal Army, Lieutenant-general Hansi Hanbee (2003), Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Home Affairs, Pehin Datu Singamanteri Colonel (Rtd) Dato Paduka Jaji Mohammad Yasmin Bin Haji Umar attended the 100 businessman Forum of South East Asia (August 2007), Permanent Secretary of the Prime Minister’s Office (previously Permanent Secretary of Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade) Pengiran Dato Paduka Hj Osman Patra (May 2009).
From the 1st October 2007,
2. Economics cooperation: Two-way trade volume reaches about 1.5 to 2 million US$ per year, in which
3. Defense cooperation:
4. Bilateral agreements include:
- Agreement on Aviation cooperation: (8 November 1991). In May 2006, the Royal Airlines of Brunei opened direct flights to
- Trade Agreement (12-14 November 2001).
- Agreement on Maritime cooperation.
- Memorandum of Understanding on Tourism and Cooperative Agreement between
- Memorandum on cooperation between the two Defense Ministries (November 2005).
- Memorandum of Understanding on youth and sport cooperation.
- Memorandum of Understanding on oil and gas cooperation.
- Agreement on avoidance of double taxation (August 2007).
- Memorandum of Understanding on auditing (2008).
|Back Top page Print Email|